Since moving into our home I’ve been trying to introduce more colour into our space in form of plants and flowers. However, not being a particular green thumb means I have to be realistic about what I choose to grow and where. As well as the various health benefits associated with having indoor plants (cleaner air, better sleep etc), I find having greenery in the home gives it a lift and turns dead space into… well, live space. It also means I don’t have to buy fresh flowers every couple of weeks (which I feel a bit bad about as it seems particularly wasteful).
So I woke up on Saturday morning determined to add to our collection of house plants (which actually consists of a lonesome Peace Lily in the living room). Enter succulents!
Succulents are water retaining plants which are adapted to drier climates, thus they need little care and are the ideal no-fuss plant — perfect for me. Upon searching the Internet for information on succulents I stumbled across images of succulent terrariums which looked great, so I decided to follow Burke’s Backyard’s instructions and make my own.
Terrariums are essentially clear glass/plastic containers of various shapes used to grow indoor plants. Not wanting to spend too much money I decided to wash out some glass jars and two glass tumblers (not pictured) for my humble project.
Based on the instructions from Burke’s Backyard I wrote myself a list of items to purchase (pebbles, charcoal, succulents etc) and headed to my local Bunnings store where I chose these plants:
Once I got home I threw everything into a cardboard box, chucked on my favourite gardening gum boots and headed out into the garden to create my terrariums (with the help of Stevie):
Now, I must confess that I didn’t follow the instructions step by step and omitted some of the ingredients (such as charcoal and moss) because I had trouble finding them (in the case of charcoal I didn’t want to buy a 10 kg bag and only use a handful of it), so come a month’s time my terrariums might be no more, but I figure succulents are robust and will be okay (though I suspect mould might be the worry, we shall see!). I found the process quite straight forward, though transplanting the succulents into the tiny jars was a little difficult, especially with my sausage fingers! But despite emptying most of the potting mix on myself, they turned out okay (though not as lovely as those from Floral Verde).
End Product — some looked better than others, but once added to the windowsill they looked quite good together.:
It ended up being a particularly cold and rainy day by the time I finished, hence the gloomy photos, but overall I was happy with them.